How to Create a Target Audience [1 Template]
Learn how to create a target audience so you can focus your marketing efforts on those people most likely to be interested in what your business has to offer.
As a marketer, it’s your job to effectively explain to your potential customers how your product or service can help them solve their problem(s).
To do that, it's imperative for you to know who they are. This will help you know who you're selling to.
To help you do that, go through the template below to define your target audience.
After you’ve read and used the template, you’ll have a better understanding of your future customers, and what you can charge.
Let’s take a look at each section of the template:
- Name of target audience: Give your target audience a name.
- Demographics: Describe your target audience by age, gender, income, education, and profession. You can also add the name and image of a real person.
- Needs: What does your target audience need that your product or service provides?
- Goals: Put yourself in the shoes of your customers and think of their goals. How can you help them?
- Challenges: Again, try to think like your typical customer and write down here what their challenges might be.
- Interests & Behaviours: Describe common interests and behaviours among your target audience.
Big companies have access to customer research reports, online questionnaires, individual interviews and so on.
You may not have these resources.
Therefore, use your understanding of your past and current customers to fill in the target audience template:
- Start with your current customers: Think about the characteristics they have in common, and brainstorm in order to describe them.
- Monitor your competition: Get a sense of how they communicate and the groups of people they’re trying to reach. You can also monitor the accounts of important brands in your space on social media.
- Talk to friends or even strangers: These are people you think may have an interest in your product.
This is an example of the template filled in with details:
Download the customer journey template as a PDF.
NEXT GUIDE: How to Choose a business structure
PREVIOUS GUIDE: How to Set SMART Marketing Goals [1 Template]